1. What should I feed my puppy and how much?
We feed Diamond Puppy Feed.
For Diamond Feed you can check their website for a location close to you.
We request that you use Diamond if available, for at least the first bag of feed. After that you may switch to any high quality feed your vet recommends.
There are many other high quality feeds. Just be sure it has a high protein and fat content while a puppy. To switch the feed, gradually mix in the new feed with the old. This will be easier on their digestion.
We use dry feed. Puppies will not overeat however, adults will. We leave dry feed out all the time for our puppies.
By the age of 6 months to a year you can gradually reduce feed to 2 to 3 times a day. Later you may even feed just once a day if that is best for your schedule.
While we and our vet do not recommend it, you may use moist feed if you want. Just don’t leave it out for long periods of time. You should wait a few days till your puppy has made initial adjustments before changing from the dry feed to moist. Dry feed helps dogs maintain healthy teeth as the dry food helps remove tartar.
The bag of feed has directions for the amount of feed to use and how to adjust as your puppy grows. If you puppy is not eating the recommended amount after a few days please be sure you are NOT feeding treats or people food and that your puppy is getting good exercise. You may contact us or your vet for suggestions.
By using dry feed we know our puppies will be more comfortable during travel as dry food is used in flight. Some puppies who have had moist food will not switch to dry feed easily.
We recommend feed and water dishes that have a wide base so they can not be tipped over.
Your puppy should have access to fresh water all the time. This is especially important in hot weather.
You may want to use bottled water for the first few days since your water will be different than ours.
Occasionally Wheatens have allergic skin reactions that are related to their feed. We have not noticed this in our dogs but a few who have puppies from us have contacted us about this. If you suspect dry skin, rash, or itching is related to feed, find one that is gluten free. You might also consider one without chicken. We can also send you some recommendations from our vet. Do not switch feeds more often than every 3 weeks. You need to give time for the new food to be effective.
One feed our vet recommends is "Taste of the Wild" and sells it in her clinic.
It is available at PetSmart, PetWarehouse and other stores. There are several others that are gluten free.
Occasionally Beardies have motion sickness. Ginger Snaps will help some Beardies with this. Just give 3 or 4 about 30 minutes before travel and repeat as needed.
2. Pro/Probiotics We use Health Gard. Here is a link to one source.
3. LIMIT TREATS!!!!!!!!
Puppies do great without treats.
Giving treats may make you feel better but more than occasional treats are not going to make your puppy feel better. They can reduce the puppy's appetite so that they do not eat enough of their balanced puppy food. Even if the treats are made of nutritional ingredients your puppy may hold out for the treats and not eat enough puppy food. Even using treats for training should be limited. You don't need to teach your puppy every trick the first week using treats. Concentrate on house training first.
4. DON'T FEED YOUR PUPPY:
Please do not give "people food" to your puppy until at least 6 months of age. Once they have eaten your food, they will likely prefer it to their own. This will not have the balance of nutrition for your growing puppy.
Don't give your puppy grapes, raisins or chocolate. These are toxic to dogs. Less than 10 grapes or raisins has caused renal failure. Chocolate in quantity is toxic.
EXCEPTION: If you puppy is just not eating well, let us know, we have some suggestions for this situation.
Your puppy may not eat much the first 24 hours home. This is just part of the adjustment time. If they don’t eat the next day or show any signs of illness contact your vet and us right away.
Your puppy has received preventative medication but occasionally the stress of travel will still lead to stomach or intestinal illness that must be treated quickly.
5. WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR DOG EATS TOO MUCH PEOPLE FOOD?
Pancreatitis in Dogs
When our animals consume too much human food, it can create problems beyond a simple stomach ache. Among these issues is the threat of pancreatitis.
The pancreas releases two enzymes, protease and lipase, which help the body digest fat and protein after a meal. These enzymes break large molecules into small pieces that can be absorbed across the intestinal wall. When a dog consumes a large amount of fat or protein, the body releases excess enzymes to handle the digestion. Normally, these enzymes move from the pancreas to the digestive tract without an issue, but when enzymes are overpopulated, they move beyond the pancreas and into other tissues. Breaking down protein and fat turns into breaking down the pancreas and other organs, resulting in inflammation and pain.
Pancreatitis Symptoms in Dogs
Canine pancreatitis symptoms include:
Nausea, with vomiting and diarrhea
Loss of appetite. Eating is painful and causes vomiting shortly after.
Fatigue; reluctance to move
Treating Pancreatitis in Dogs
Administer injectable fluids like sterile saline solution if the dog cannot keep water down.
Provide medication to treat vomiting if that's a problem – consult your veterinarian.
Once you get the dog back on food, add pancreas enzymes (Bio Case Pro V) so that the food can still be digested as the pancreas heals.
Repeated episodes may scar the pancreas, causing pancreatic insufficiency. If this happens, the dog may require additional enzymes for life.
Pain medications such as Metacam and Carprofen can be helpful but must be used with care. Some NSAIDs can cause issues with this disease.
Preventing Pancreatitis in Dogs
Be careful in the future – if a dog gets pancreatitis once, he's at a higher risk for reoccurrence. Prevent future problems before they can happen! Keep garbage secured, and remind guests and family members not to feed your dogs greasy or rich human food. Dogs should get no more than 10 percent of their diets from table food, so stick with dog-safe veggies when you want to give your pup a special treat.
If you need help, call 800.786.4751.
- Dr. B
Don Bramlage, DVM, Former Director of Veterinary Services at Revival Animal Health
The following information is from the website for AKC. www.akc.org
Certain foods and household
products can be dangerous to dogs!
It’s only natural for dogs to be curious. But their curiosity can get them into trouble when they get into areas where you store household items such as medicine and detergents. Many common household items that you use everyday can be harmful, and sometimes even lethal, to your dog.
Foods that are harmful to your dog:
May cause vomiting, abdominal pain
May cause varied reactions:
Tomato and potato leaves and stems
Onions and onion powder
Pear and peach kernels
Mushrooms (if also toxic to humans)
Symptoms of possible poisoning are: vomiting, diarrhea, difficult breathing, abnormal urine (color, aroma or odor, frequency, etc.), salivation, weakness. If your dog should ingest harmful chemicals,
contact a veterinarian or poison control center immediately.
Common household items that are
harmful to your dog:
Antifreeze and other car fluids
Bleach and cleaning fluids
Nail polish and remover
Snail or slug bait